Monday, September 30, 2013

Eataly!

Heirloom tomats @ Eataly!
As we all know, Italy has bestowed a wondrous gift on the world with its simple and amazingly delicious cuisine. NYC's Eataly in Chelsea is as best a representation of the nation as you can get other than the real deal. I finally ventured there this past Saturday and I truly felt like I died and went to foodie heaven. Eataly is a market, an apertivo spot, a bakery, a restaurant and wine purveyor all in one glorious location.

Freshest of veg
B. Sprouts!
My friend K and I journeyed to Eataly with a mission of assembling a fresh salad and pasta dish for her birthday meal. When you enter the store on the 23rd St entrance, the colors of the vegetables are like an artist's palate. The produce is artfully arranged, beckoning you to select! We chose some arugula, french beans, heirloom tomatoes, sundried tomatoes and a red pepper. Next we moved to the cheese counter, where we eventually abandoned to the pre-cut cheese area as the line was slow and crowd was busy. You have to walk through the wine-tasting area from the vegetables which on a Saturday was a tad treacherous. We powered on and selected a delicious Gorgonzola and Parmesan reggiano before moving on to the fresh pasta section (again having to brave the tasting area madness). Oh the fresh pasta! Again, everything looked so good but we finally selected a spinach spaghetti, truffle & pecorino casonsèi, and spinach-ricotta ravioli. A simple tomato-basil sauce and a fresh loaf of bread and we headed to the checkout.

Eataly has a separate wine store next to the main space so I popped in there for the ever-important wine. Prosecco was obvi on the list, but boy was I in for a treat! After months of searching wine stores in the tri-state area I finally found my VINO ROSSO FRIZZANTE!! I originally discovered this wine at Taste of Emelia in Dublin and on some trips to Italy to visit one of my bests, AL. Until Saturday, I was only able to source the too-sweet Lambrusco so I was absolutely delighted. And the price was right at $15! Oh Eataly I will be back! Next time I'll go on a week day though as the crowds were a bit OTT and I wouldn't mind checking out the tasting area ;-)
Rosso Frizzante & the fruits of our labor


EATALY
200 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10010
http://www.eataly.com/

2 comments:

  1. Well, I know where I'll be venturing when I finally make it to NY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Bernie! We may never leave the tasting area!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive