Sunday, November 10, 2013

Dig In? Don't Mind if I Do!


I work in midtown, where there are a plethora of options at lunch time. Most days I bring from home, but if I don't, I find myself nearly overwhelmed with all the choice and end up defaulting to Chop't. Last week, I completely dropped the proverbial brown-bag ball and frequented Chop'd twice, so by Friday I was pretty much salad-ed out.
Yes, please do suggest!

With my belly grumbling and no idea of where to go for lunch, I asked my coworker C where a good, healthy(ish) spot might be. She suggested Dig In on W 55th Street between 5th & 6th. Dig In's philosophy is to make healthy food delicious and fun, with a menu based on the seasons. I was intrigued so I bundled up and hit the pavement on this very chilly Friday.

Daily specials menu
When I got to Dig In there was a decent sized-line formed outside. I took this to be a good sign because if people are excited enough of DI's food to wait outside on a blustery Friday, the product must be good! The line did move fast and before I knew it I was inside the warm interior with the rich smell of roasting veg wafting about. I grabbed a menu and decided to go for the big plate : 1 protein, 1 grain and 3 sides. (Hint: it's a good idea to peruse the menu either online or in line while you wait as they do try to move you along quickly through.) The layout of the 55th St location actually reminded me a bit of Blazing Salads in Dublin, with the small space and kitzy decor. The menu changes seasonally which is cool so you can always try something different. I went for the spicy meatballs, raw baby spinach for my "grain" (love that option to substitute!) beet salad, macaroni and cheese, aaanndddd BRUSSEL SPROUTS! I have oft said that I eat anything except these little gems, but Friday I thought I would face my fear after all and dive right in. I am so glad I did, also because these sprouts were perfectly roasted with a hint of sea salt and a bit of crispiness! The mac & cheese was a substitute for the chickpea salad as it was sold out. I was kind of bummed about the chickpea salad but the homemade M&C had an expert ratioed of cheese to pasta.... mmm mmm mmm.The beet salad was super fresh and hopefully balanced out the rest of my plate with it's superfood qualities! Spicy meatballs were the piece de resistance: lovely ground lamb with a kick of cayenne and smoky chili in the sauce. Certainly warmed up my belly!
My delicious feast!

I am so happy to have found Dig In and can't wait to go back for lunch again! If you're visiting, do take into account that there probably will be a line but don't let it deter you! It's well worth the wait!

Dig In
(Six locations across Manhattan)
40 W 55th St
New York, NY 10019
212.246.6844
http://www.diginn.com/home/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive