Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Black Sheep: Definitely Not the Odd One Out!

In the last year, the Buffalo restaurant scene has absolutely exploded with a number of new ventures. It's an awesome time to be hungry in Western New York and I have been LOVING choosing where to go out to eat! One of these new hotspots is the smartly named Black Sheep on the West Side. I went there a few weeks back with my oldest pal, EH and had a remarkable meal. Honestly, it was one of the best meals I've had in a while, and I'm finding difficulty putting the experience into words!

Here's why:

We were greeted warmly by the hostess and stopped to have a drink at the bar first. Another warm reception there from the bartender, who stood behind the beautiful bartop crafted from the trunk of a tree. EH ordered a zesty Moscow Mule and I, my standard Malbec. We could have stayed at the bar all evening with its perfect lighting and warm smiles all around.

We moved to our table and started to peruse the menu. The Black Sheep keeps it simple, with the selection open for sharing tapas style or ordering individually. Although simple, each option looked uniquely delicious. Alas, as there were only two of us, we had to whittle down and decided to share small plates.

We went with:

Nickle City Cheese Plate: an ample serving of three cheeses accompanied by honey, pickled and fresh pears, plum chutney and crostini

Beets 5 Ways, Did what it said on the tin. We were especially delighted by the roasted beets!

Skin Fritters. Had no idea what chow-chow was but we loved it! Perfectly crispy with a soft, fluffy inside and tons of flavor.

Rabbit with Potato Funnel Cake. The haunch was the right amount of gamey-ness and the potato funnel cake a crunchy revelation!

Pork Confit Peirogi. EH and I have had our fair share of peirogi in our day and we both agreed these took top billing! Unless you're traveling to the homeland you won't find better.

Unfortunately we didn't have room for dessert, but check out the cool menu below! Next time for sure.


I'm so excited that The Black Sheep has joined the ranks in the Buffalo resurgence and I will definitely be back...see for yourself what all the fuss is about and thank me later!! Oh and did I mention they serve a killer bread basket that's sourced locally!? Boom.

367 Connecticut St.
Buffalo, NY 14213

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive