Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Run Neon Tiger There's Thai on Your Mind...

However you define a place called home, whenever you leave it, you leave behind not only loved ones but, possibly more importantly, the food as well. Neon 17 on Camden St is one of those places with food that I crave when away from my second home in Dublin.

Neon 17 all decked out for V-day!
Close-up of the operation
Thai Street food in Dublin, you say? But Lauribeth you’re in NEW YAWK, there must be a Thai equivocal or even better than in DUBLIN?! Nope. Well, maybe there is but I haven’t found it and really don’t care to honestly! I have found the one, Neon is it for me!

I visited Neon on Valentine’s Day this February with my dear friend CMc and am happy to say, the love affair endures. I ordered my standard Green Curry with chicken while CMc opted for the Massamam curry with chicken. We also got a side order of prawn crackers with Neon’s zingy sweet chili sauce. 

CMc's Massamam... look at those chillies!
I really like the simplicity of Neon: you order, grab either a side spot or a seat at the long communal table and within 10-15 minutes, your steaming hot dish of delight is served to you. Oh and did I mention there is a self-serve soft-serve ice cream machine for dessert? Everyone gets a cone with your dish, and if you have enough room (who doesn’t have room for soft serve!?) you may go at it as they say!

My beloved Green Curry
CMc's mad soft serve skillz
Aww yeaaa
Right, so back to the food. My green curry was phenomenal as always! Great portion of green peppers, onions, baby corn and carrots with nice big juicy chunks of chicken swimming in a wonderful ratio of creamy coconut milk and curry flavor. The rice was nicely sticky to sop up the nearly drinkable sauce, too (and yes, I did save a little sauce to slurp at the end!). CMc’s Massamam was excellent she noted as well, potatoes nicely cooked and not too soft with just the right mild hit of spice! We enjoyed a refreshing bottle of Sauv Blanc (€13.50 chica-chica yeaa!) to wash down our meal before hitting up the soft serve.

As I'm writing this I'm having a serious craving for some Neon and the pang hits deeper than my gut! It's a great spot for a casual meal and hearty feed. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the South Dublin 'hood.
Mwahahahha
Neon 17
17 Camden St
Dublin 2
01 405 2222

See you soon Neon 17!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive