Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Be Mine, il Valentino!

A warm welcome even in the drizzliest of days!
Happy belated St. Patrick’s Day friends! How did y’all celebrate? I was still recovering from festivities as of last night after spending the weekend with my sister in Boston when I realized that TODAY is St. Joseph’s Day! For those of you unfamiliar, St. Joseph’s Day is an Italian feast of Joey from Friends… yes that’s it! Ok so that statement is not entirely accurate, but SJD also corresponds with Father’s Day in Italy and Italians celebrate like they do best with a feast of fantastic food.

Since I missed a SPD post, I decided I’ll go with an Italian theme and share with you my favorite Italian bakery in Dublin, il Valentino in Grand Canal Dock. I’ve stopped in numerous times to this authentic Italian café for a coffee or a spot of lunch, and always, always end up with a sweet treat as well. Right when you walk into the café, you are ambushed with the most ample of cases filled with fresh salads, Panini, quiches, pizzas, pastries, cakes, and desserts. The scent of espresso and chocolate wafts around you and the jolly disposition of Italian staff more often than not greets you heartily. You begin to wonder is there ever even a need to book a flight to Roma with il Valentino so close?!

Look at all these delights!
Fresh errrryday!
Perfect Americano and the sweetest of hearts
My most recent visit came after a lunch at the Marker as I needed a slight caffeinated pick-me-up or else succumb to a food coma. As always, I merely was going to grab a steaming Americano until my eyes hit the baked goods display. One look at chocolate brownie heart bite and I knew I would have room in my belly. Though just a bite, you could tell even the tiniest of goodies at here is baked with care: the heart had the sweetest bittersweet chocolate undertone and nicely fluffy and moist consistency. The perfect accent to my "stiff" drink.

nomnomnom
I highly recommend stopping in to il Valentino, a mere 12 minute walk from College Green for the city slickers/tourists, and a great spot for the Docklands/Ballsbridge set!

Il Valentino Bakery and Café
5 Gallery Quay
Grand Canal Harbour
Dublin 2, Ireland
01.633.1100
And a pano of Grand Canal for good measure :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive