Thursday, October 23, 2014

'Tis the Season... for Pumpkin Bananza Bread!

Fantastic fall foliage in the Delaware District
As I'm sure we're all acutely aware, it is well and indeed FALL. From not even the end of August, the likes of Starbucks and Dunkin have been pumping out every pumpkin spice flavored beverage and baked good imaginable. And don't even get me started on the beers! There are so so many strains of pumpkin brews out there it's overwhelming! And really, we all know which one is the pumpKING. Bow down to Southern Tier now.

But I digress.

Breakfast complete with a monogrammed mug
SO what am I planning on sharing with you this eve? Yes, another gourd-inspired food to add to the list! But it's with purpose. I had a bunch of over-ripe bananas and wanted to make a healthier banana bread. I had the grand idea of substituting canned pumpkin for butter as a way to cut down on the calories, I took to the mixing bowl. It was a bit of a wild experiment so I hesitated to take pics during the baking process. As luck would have it, my creation was  a success!! I added a bit a sweetness with some semi-sweet chocolate chips, but laid low on the sugar. My next attempt I may try to cut down the flour or use a flour substitute.

So without further adieu, here is my addition to the ever-growing pumpkin list.





LL's Pumpkin Bananza Bread
3 large over ripe bananas, mushed
1/2 can pumpkin
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
dash nutmeg
dash cinnamon
dash salt
1/2 bag semi sweet chocolate chips
EXTREME CLOSE UP

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, stir the mushed bananas and pumpkin together. Whisk in the two eggs until combined. Add in the vanilla and brown sugar. Then slowly fold in the flour. Next pop in the baking soda, baking powder and salt. Throw in the spices at your discretion and cap off by folding in the choco-chippies.

Grease a bread pan and pour in the mixture. Sprinkle a bit of brown sugar over the top and throw in the oven for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, reduce the heat to 350 and cook for another 30 minutes. Take out of the oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Pop out of the pan and place on a cooling rack.

Now SINCE you've eliminated the butter, feel free to slather some delicious dairy on a warm slice and have at it!
Look at that butter!!! Yumm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive