Saturday, February 21, 2015

That Martin Sure Can Cook!

A few months back, I visited Martin Cooks during one of their Wednesday “Uncorked & Unseated” nights. MT and I arrived late with only an hour to go but Martin invited us to stay. He refused us to pay the full flat $40 for the unlimited food and wine, and only charged us for the bowls of hearty vegetarian chili (though we drank and ate much more than that). It was such a warm, intimate and fuss-less evening; I couldn’t wait to return.

Alas, Uncorked & Unseated is no more, but MC’s brunch is certainly alive and well! MT was my companion again as we trekked through the snowy West Side last Saturday. Horsefeathers was bustling with the activity from Martin’s and the weekly farmer’s market. We allotted some time to peruse the market as we waited, however the hostess cheerily informed us not to venture far. We were soon seated right in the heart of the action in front of the open-plan kitchen. 
Martin's cooks
Menus placed in front of us, consisting of about eight brunch dishes to choose from and one very tempting flour-less chocolate cake for dessert. Though concise, the menu proved difficult to arrive at a decision. Thankfully, beverages arrived quickly the help lubricate our brains. Not surprisingly, I went for a mimosa which was nicely priced at $6 and excellently proportioned of OJ and bubbles. Fun orange juice indeed! MT sipped on the Whiskey Dick (mwahah), a hefty pour of premium whiskey and a nice, crisp dry cider.
Meat stacks and fun orange juice
As for the mains, I was finally able to decide on the Meat Stack which consisted of two thick homemade meatball patties, cappicola slices and sausage placed gently on a smooth tomato sauce base. The stacks were topped with arugula and two perfectly toasted garlic slices. I was so very pleased with my stacks, and really had to show some self-restraint  to save room for the chocolate cake and to not lick my bowl! MT went with Martin’s double cheeseburger served with potato salad and hot peppers. The cheese:meat:bun ratio was very even, throwing shade on every fast food photographer around. I barely took my third bite before MT was done so I’ll take that as it was delicious!
Sly smile from MT prior to devouring the double cb
This is what heaven tastes like

To finish off our feast, we split the flour-less cake. The cake is what all chocolate cakes dream to be. Nicely dense, with a hint of bitterness and a silky texture made for a wonderful sweet finish. I am a bit of of chocolate snob and rarely order chocolate cake, pies, etc out as I am almost always disappointed. Not last Saturday, and not at Martin Cooks. The experience was so powerful, I had to finish off the meal with a crisp, calming glass of Cava.
A fat and happy smile from yours truly
Martin Cooks brunch was spectacular. There’s a lot of hype on this place since it opened a few years ago, and for good reason. The location, thoughtfulness of the dishes, and overall vibe sets Martin Cooks above the rest. Run, don’t walk next weekend to the West Side! I am literally shaking in my boots for the day I get to splash out for his dinner! 

346 Connecticut St.
Buffalo, NY 14213

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive