Monday, September 14, 2015

Changing up the Game: Marble + Rye Review

The summer of 2015 saw a gamut of new punters to the Buffalo restaurant game, with almost every week one or two big names opening or reinventing food gigs across Western New York.

One of the most highly-anticipated was the entry of the BMFT boys to a brick-and-mortar space on Genesee St. Rumor was the gang was going for dishes completely unlike their Bahn-Mi heavy menu from the truck. Color me interested.

I decided to wait a few weeks to give these guys a try as places often fall majorly flat for me close to opening. I find it's much better for the restaurant, my wallet and most importantly my taste buds if the place can work out it's kinks to give it a proper go.

But I digress.

So the other week I met up with my girl AW for some wine and food at the aforementioned Marble+Rye.

The aesthetic is pretty chic but relaxed at the same time. The bar is definitely the focal point of the room, which hold approx 10-20 tables as I recall. Understated but slick if that makes sense.
Cheeseboard ON POINT
We settled into a cheeseboard with a nice bottle of Malbec before moving on to a few small plates the share.

The cheeseboard was by Nickle City and therefore fantastic. Those 'mongers have got a tight cheese game and restaurateurs are noticing their slam-dunk appeal. Marble+Rye did put their own touch with some killer sweet-potato chips that slide home really nice.
Pasta of the day (can't win 'em all)

Egg burger: no need for cheese here! JUICY

For our sharing plates, we got the pasta of the day: ravioli with seabreem, the egg burger and finished off with a giant sour banana & PB macaron.
Sour Banana & PB Macaron I shall dream of you
The verdict: While the pasta was deliciously fresh, the seabreem filling tasted slightly too smoked or too fishy. The burger nailed it 10/10 proving I can never have enough protein. Similarly, the macaron was scrumptuous with the tasty coffee "dust" ridiculously morish.

Overall, Marble+Rye has really upped the Buffalo food scene. You can tell they are really thinking outside of the box and pushing food boundaries. They may not always hit the mark, but then again you're not really living if you stay in your comfort zone!

Check M+R out, I promise that change is good.

Artsy Buffalo Skyline #sofetch
112 Genesee St
Buffalo, NY 14203


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive